Thursday, September 2, 2010

WHAT IS YOUR ROLE IN THE WORLD?


             Alright, so for those who don’t know, I am currently enrolled in a religious worldviews class this semester. The class has been very interesting, frustrating at times (due to Bible bashing), but as a whole, it has been intriguing to learn about various religious traditions and doctrines. The other day, my professor began discussing the Enlightenment, which was a philosophical movement in eighteenth century Europe, which began the view that man was the most Supreme Being, and all other reason and intellect paled in comparison to that of mankind. Proceeding from the topic of the Enlightenment, he began to discuss how the philosophers viewed their roles in life, and what they believed was their purpose on earth. After building up many arguments in my mind, he finally sprung the question I had been dying to answer, unluckily for me, it was right as class ended. The question was this:

WHAT DO YOU BELIEVE IS YOUR ROLE IN LIFE?
            
             Now, I am in no way going to attempt to give every specific detail for each person’s exact role here on earth, but what I am going to attempt to do is give you things that Jesus specifically outlines for us to do here on earth. Like it or not, every person who was handcrafted in God’s image (yes, that includes everyone) has been given a specific role and purpose that God has laid out for them. Jesus, in His time on earth gave us a perfect example of how to truly surrender to God, trust His will above ours, and to live wholly and intentionally for God. Jesus outlines this while He’s talking to his disciples in John 14, and gives us three specific steps for fulfilling our role on earth.

            Step one: BELIEVE:
“Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also.” John 14: 1-3

            What Jesus is telling us here is that the first step in having a Godly role in life is to believe in God and that Jesus is God, and to trust that God’s word is faithful. Jesus tells us not worry about our salvation, and whether Jesus will truly return for us. He tells us that in Heaven, there is more than enough room for anyone who wishes to bow at the Throne of God and proclaim His glory forever. He says, if this weren’t so, why would I have told you that this is what my purpose was, I would never falsely promise you a place in Heaven if you believe just for amusement. He reminds us that He is a faithful God, who loves His people, and if He says that there is a place in Heaven for all who believe, then He will without a doubt return for those believers. Jesus, states later that whoever believes in Him will do greater things on earth than Him (verse 12), through the Spirit. So major point here, BELIEVE!

            Step two: KEEP THE WORD, DWELL IN THE ONE WHO DWELLS IN YOU:  
Jesus answered him, “If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. Whoever does not love me does not keep my words. And the word that you hear is not mine but the Father's who sent me.” John 14: 23-24

            Now, what Jesus is explaining to His followers is that if we TRULY love God, then we will keep his word, and grow our relationship with Him daily. What we are promised here though, is that while we begin to dwell more and more in God, he will in turn dwell within us. Our relationship with God is not one sided. We grow daily in our knowledge of God if we keep His commandments, and we begin to place more and more of our lives in Him. God then will give back to us by coming to us (in the form of the Spirit) and dwell in our hearts. When He dwells in us, He is revealing Himself to the world through us by the Spirit. Remember, when you keep the word, you are now the image bearers of God that you were intended to be, disclosing His goodness to the entire world. The old adage, “You’re a picture of God” is now actually brought to life, because through His spirit and commands, we are just that.

            Step three: BE OBEDIENT TO GOD’S COMMANDS, NO MATTER WHAT: 
“You heard me say to you, ‘I am going away, and I will come to you.’ If you loved me, you would have rejoiced, because I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I. And now I have told you before it takes place, so that when it does take place you may believe. I will no longer talk much with you, for the ruler of this world is coming. He has no claim on me, but I do as the Father has commanded me, so that the world may know that I love the Father. Rise, let us go from here.” John 14: 28-31

            Finally, what Jesus gives us is a perfect example of total obedience to the will of God, and knowing that His will is the only ultimate good on earth. Jesus knows that Satan is coming to try to take his life away, but Jesus also knows that Satan has no claim on His life. He knows that the sacrifice the Father has commanded of Him is a necessary one for the salvation of man, and that through His suffering His love for the Father will be shone to all. Through His resurrection, we are to know that God’s will is supreme, and though there may be suffering, glory and love will be shone through it. No matter what you go through, do it with the utmost joy, and rejoice in the fact that you are suffering as your Father has suffered. Remember, nothing but God has a claim on your life, no one is able to snatch you out of your Shepherd’s hand.

REJOICE! The battle has been won, death is defeated, now go proclaim the good news to all, training daily in the word, and strengthening yourself through the Spirit that is dwelling within you. God loves you, and wants you to dwell in Him, so He may dwell in you.

ACCEPT YOUR ROLE IN THE WORLD REVOLUTION!

God bless,
Trip Starkey

1 comment:

  1. You need to blog every day.

    "For everything, absolutely everything, above and below, visible and invisible,...everything got started in Him and finds its purpose in Him." Colossians 1:16

    ReplyDelete